1. You work on Windy City Live, what makes TV makeup different than everyday makeup?
The biggest difference is you have to work from the mirror. The bright lighting is going to change the way the makeup looks, or make complexions look different. I use more pigmented colors and do a lot of contouring and highlighting. That way, you are able to really see the bone structure in the face through the screen.
2. What were some of the makeup trends you saw this summer?
The big trend I saw was smokey eyes, but with a bight color on top. Electric colors like blues, purples, and greens were really hot this summer which I thought was really fun!
3. There has been a lot of talk about a lot of makeup brands only providing shades for people with light-medium skin tones. Rihanna came out with FENTY BEAUTY to promote inclusion for all skin tones. What are some of your other favorite inclusive brands?
I’m so happy to say that Chanel, (which also has one of my favorite foundations), has had extensions for the last seven years, which is something I don’t think people really know. La Mer also came out with a line of extensions. Lancôme as well as Nars have done an excellent job on diversifying and expanding their color range.
4. You are the "Eyebrow Whisperer." What is the secret for great eyebrows?
The secret to great eyebrows is “brow mapping” and shaping the brow to ones individual shape.
5. Who is your makeup inspiration?
I love Pat McGrath! Her diversity in makeup is astonishing. She can do any complexion and all styles of makeup. What she has done for beauty is monumental.
6. What is the most important thing people should do to protect their skin?
I would say the most valuable things that you could do for your skin is to get a great cleanser, properly exfoliate, and wear sun protection daily!
In addition to makeup, Janaé also does facials, lash and wax services. To schedule an appointment with Janaé, please visit her site: Changing Faces
222 W. Merchandise Mart Plaza
Chicago, Illinois 60654